Lazareva Larisa Petrovna – Doctor of Pedagogy, Professor, Head of Russian Language Department of the Far Eastern State Transportation University (Khabarovsk).
Grigoryeva Nadezhda Georgievna – Doctor of Pedagogical Sciences, Professor, Vice-principal of educational work of the Far Eastern State Transportation University (Khabarovsk).
Marked personal involvement into professional activity, its constant reflection as well as double identification of oneself as a professional and a profession within the culture cause high significance of motivational component of professional activity of a teacher. The search for main life and professional meanings in the process of professional self-awareness, professional identity leads to professional and personal growth and, generally, to personal maturity. However, the solution of ‘the tasks on meaning," the search for new meanings of professional activity are usually accompanied with semantic conflicts.
The analysis of professional activity of a university teacher can identify the main determinants of semantic conflicts of a teacher due to the features of professional activity:
- marked orientation of pedagogical activity focuses on the value of another person and the personality of the teacher oneself;
- fuzzy ideas of goals and objectives of educational activity;
- inconformity of professional goals and objectives to individual abilities of a teacher;
- contradictions between achieved and required levels of professional growth;
- contradictions between the level of needs and the level of achievements in professional activity;
- inconformity of material consideration, working hours and the level of professional responsibility of a teacher.
The empirical study of professional activity and the personality of a university teacher showed the most common semantic conflicts: a conflict of professional growth, a career conflict, a labor relations dissatisfaction conflict, a conflict of life and professional meanings.
Key words: professional self-awareness, self-concept, personal meaning, semantic conflicts, a conflict of life and professional meanings, a career conflict, a conflict of professional growth, a conflict of professional expectations, a self-non-acceptance conflict.